The mission of the Montessori School Accreditation Commission is to provide a professional, nationally recognized accrediting agency through which quality Montessori schools may receive recognition based on standards rather than affiliation.
The Montessori School Accreditation Commission seeks to fulfill the following purposes:
- To serve the needs of the Montessori school community by providing a non-affiliation based school accreditation process. The accreditation process will be available to all Montessori schools that are staffed with certified Montessori teachers, maintain well-equipped classrooms and exemplify the Montessori philosophy and principles in their classrooms.
- To provide an accreditation procedure that will assist schools in the process of self evaluation and team building.
- To provide a quality assurance protocol that will give Montessori schools recognition for excellence within the educational community and the general public.
- To provide qualifying Montessori schools with the approval of a nationally recognized accreditation organization whose standards meet or exceed state regulations, thus making it possible for the schools to apply for local, state or federal funding.
- To serve as a vehicle for screening classroom environments suitable for approved teacher education practicum sites.
- To provide a needed resource for parents seeking a level of assurance that the school they select meets quality standards set by the Montessori community.
- To motivate Montessori schools to evaluate their programs, thus insuring they are operating within the highest of Montessori philosophical and educational standards.